The Thai Red Cross Society was established in 1893 during territorial disputes, resulting in skirmishes along the Thai border. A group of Thai women serving in the Royal Court decided to serve their King and their nation by aiding the sick and wounded soldiers at the border.
The woman who put forward the proposal to form a society was Thanpuying Plien Pasakornravong, a Lady of the Royal Court in the Reign of King Chulalongkorn (rama V). With the approval of the king and Her Majesty Queen Saovabha Pongsiri serving as President, the Red Unalom Society was founded, which in 1910 changed its name to the Thai Red Cross Society, and then became a member of the International Federation of Red Cross and Red Crescent Societies (IFRC) on April 18, 1921.
The Thai Red Cross Society continues to improve its services and for those in remote areas by increasing Red Cross stations, mobile clinics and developing more potential of the Provincial Red Cross branches and volunteers for closer cooperation.
Today, the Thai Red Cross Society, the biggest charity organisation in Thailand, has completed its first centennial services to Thai society (1893-1993). Under the patronage of Their Majesties the King and Queen, the Thai Red Cross Society is also honoured by the royal appointment of HRH Princess Maha Chakri Sirindhorn to the post of Executive Vice President of the Thai Red Cross Society.
A wide variety of projects and initiations in the medical field and humanitarian services, aiding Thai society over the past century indicates its commitment to serve the society with strong determination without expecting any thing in return as it is a non-profit organisation that genuinely gives to the needy and sick in time of war and peace. However, the society still needs the faithful and continuous support of the public-without which the society may cease to function.